Friday, April 10, 2015

Lesson 9
History and Genealogy

I typed in my name and found two public records, one of my residence from 12 years ago and one of my phone number at that same time.

I typed in my mother’s married name. ( I can’t remember my grandparents’ names; I never knew them.)  I found her grave site information.  I then typed in her maiden name, and found the census list from 1930. I wonder if so little is available, such as church records and marriage license, because she passed away in 1972. Quite an interesting search!  I did find a cousin, though, which was an unexpected bonus!  I then typed in my deceased older brother and found quite a bit of information. He passed away about 5.5 years ago, so much more information is available on him.

I could not find anything in Pictures. Don’t know if I was doing something wrong or what.

Heritage Quest:  Could not find any information.???


Sanborn Maps: Could not find anything of interest to me.  None of the towns I wanted to look up had a map, and the one I did look up then was Greek to me!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for searching in the genealogy databases. Time period doesn't really have an impact on how much info one finds in Ancestry--it really just depends on what has been indexed and what is currently available. Content is constantly added to Ancestry Library, so keep checking.

    To locate the pictures, search for "South Dakota" in the keyword box (click Show More Options" to see the keyword box) and then select "pictures" in the result limiters on the left hand side.

    Not every county has a book in HeritageQuest. When I go in and search books >> I tried location and Potter County, South Dakota (I used what it autofilled). Then when you get your results, notice the search filter at the top left side of the results--make your search results more exact by sliding the slider bar--I tried limiting by county and surrounding counties and got 3 books--one for Faulk, Hyde and Sully--you may be able to locate information about Potter County that way.
    I have the best luck trying lots of different things when looking for content in the books in Heritage Quest--one day, I had great luck typing in old community names in South Dakota and finding references to them. Who knew?

    Sorry you couldn't find anything in Sanborn Maps that interested you. Sanborn Maps can be useful for genealogy and history if people want to know what was in a location back when their relative lived there.

    Thanks for your work on this post,

    Julie

    ReplyDelete