Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Lesson 5

I love to garden, especially growing flowers. I love roses, and am always searching for new roses that are hardy to our cold winter climate.  I especially like the David Austin roses, but they are marginally hardy to only zone 5, whereas we are zone 4 here, and sometimes even a zone 4a.  I was disappointed in that all I could find on Proquest was one article referring to flower arranging, two books referencing David Austin roses, and the remainder of the articles referred to the patents held on the production of David Austin roses. I thought there would be more general information available, such as you find where you do a regular Internet search.

I read the librarian queen’s post.  I thought it was very interesting, since diabetes runs in both my and my husband’s families.  She had some insightful comments, and writes in a very relaxed manner. Enjoyed her blog!


One of my sons is studying to be a pastor, so I did a search on his chosen profession.  Beginning with “pastors,” there were 89,163 articles.  I then narrowed down to “rural white male pastors,” and there still 2935 articles.  I further narrowed down to “rural white male evangelical pastors,” and there were still 1703 articles.  Upon further checking, some of the articles included did not fit my parameters, since there were a number of “African American” titles included, and some articles that I believed had no place under the “evangelical” term.   I was surprised by how many total articles there were, and how comprehensive the subjects were.  Even when I reduced my search field, I still thought there still was a lot of information to choose from!

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm....I was curious about the David Austin roses after you spoke of them. Can you tell me how you searched? I tried austin roses as a search and had many results that talked about his patents and an interesting article from Sunset magazine that mentions the zones (like you did!)

    Thanks for the post,

    Julie

    ReplyDelete